Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's Hard to Dance and Type at the Same Time

There really is a good reason I've been so obnoxiously excited about my new portable storage thingy. I've got a lot of music that I need to listen to, not very many hours in the day to do so, and a lot of dead air space at work. I've been listening to internet radio, but I really need to get better acquainted with the music that I've hoarded.

There are a lot of albums and artists that, when I see the name, I recognize and know that I like, but for the life of me can't picture in my head what they sound like. I very much want to have a specific, emotional attachment to the music that I like.

So the space between my ears at work has been filled with the following:

a renewed appreciation for pop-punk thanks to NoFX,

the desire to turn off all the lights and lie on the floor with Scanner,

pride for my "hometown" care of Ozma,

wonder at how I managed to completely overlook Kit Clayton,

longing to live in Seattle where people actually know the name Bikini Kill,

awe at the production value and complexity of the God of War soundtracks (thanks to Mahea),

a continuing inability to wrap my mind around Radiohead, despite my enjoyment of them,

vowes to listen to Doctor Rockit more often,

and frustration as I listen to the Doves over and over and each time seem to be doing work and am unable to remember a single melody or lyric to account for that warm fuzzy feeling I had while listening. I guess that just means I need to listen to them more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice selection =)

I'm glad to hear you've taken a shine to Doves (as I love them of course). Cedar Room, Someday Soon, N.Y., Caught by the River? Those all ring a bell to me as very distinctive songs of theirs that I can readily remember.

If you like that kind of sound, I would definitely recommend Keane too. Don't know if you've heard them, but they remind me a lot of Doves, especially in the latter's more melodical moments. Been grooving on their Under the Iron Sea album for a couple of months now.

Erin said...

Did you know Kathleen Hanna (via Le Tigre) wrote "Deceptacon" as a diss to Fat Mike of NOFX?

SnrIncognito said...

i did not know that. i love that song, ill have to wiki it and check that out.