Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Ideals are All We Have Sometimes

It's my fault for not locking my car's door, but now I can't listen to music in the car, and I can't play Magic with my friends.

I don't want to be sad. More importantly I don't want to be bitter, or angry, or cold, or suspicious.

I frequently feel like being nice means being a pushover. I feel like not seeking retribution means I stab myself in the face. I question whether "nice" is just my word for "afraid". But it's important to me to maintain my ideals. It's hard to combat wrongdoing by doing right. I really believe that that's the only way to do it though. Nothing good will ever come of doing what you think is wrong.

So I feel sad. But I don't want to be angry and bitter. So here's an attempt at comfort.

My car wasn't stolen.

My bike is still there.

I wasn't hurt.

I have a job to go to.

My friends and family love me and are safe.

I am still me. I am not my objects, my objects are me.

I have a place to cry.

I can smile while I cry.

I have a home to go to.

I'm given an oportunity to be more responsible without having to lose something really important to me.

I have a fabulously supportive girlfriend. Who's very pretty.

There's some perspective for ya. People are shits sometimes, but there're more who aren't than those who are. So, to keep that ratio strong, I'm gonna try to do and think what I think is right. Even if others don't. So there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consolation: We will rebuild the deck. We have the technology. Actually, what we really have are free cards that should be coming in sometime this summer, so that's a start.

But you also should keep in mind that being bitter, angry, cold, and suspicious is actually healthy in a situation like this. I mean, denial is a powerful escape tool, but it's important to be human and to recognize frustrations when they are present.

And this is coming from the unfailing optimist.

Also, I realize I'm telling this to the guy who has a bachelor's in psychology.

In short, I just wanted to offer the cyber-pat on the back and let you know that during those sometimes, we have more than ideals.

We have God.

HAHAHA wow I'm funny.

But on the note that we have more than ideals, I say we've got things we can do about it. Not as reprisals, either.

Let's ask my Dad if he's got car stereos in short order. Let's start getting more Magic Cards.

Let's do something about it. And have fun doing it.

SnrIncognito said...

i have good friends that make me very very happy! thanks nico!

Erin said...

It makes me feel really glad that I have friends that can go through shit and come out as optimists.

Sometimes I feel punished for being nice, but the feeling always goes away by morning.

Keep your heads up, Evan and Nico.

yeaaahtoast said...

Hooray! I'm the supportive girlfriend who's pretty!